- In this Globe & Mail article by Fiona Tapp, I talk about travelling solo as a woman How can companies help female business travellers stay safe on the road? And here’s the print version.
- Curious about the difference between a travel writer, traveler blogger and an influencer? This article by Rebecca Holland in Curiosity Magazine is an eye-opener about what it’s really like to work in these fields. My quote is at the very end of The most transparent article on travel writing you’ll ever read.
- My plane horror story anecdote is included in Melissa Kravtiz’s article People reveal the strangest behavior they’ve seen on a plane for Insider and Business Insider.
In this article by Fiona Tapp, I describe how being flexible can yield excellent travel deals: The best travel deal I ever got.
- I was interviewed about responsible tourism (and my new fave piece of travel clothing) for Expeditionist Magazine: Travel Eater’s Johanna Read talks Ably Apparel and responsible tourism.
- My interview for Second Chance Travels will be published soon.
- My quotes about responsible tourism are included in this 20 Travelers Committed to Responsible Travel roundup for World Tourism Day, September 27, 2017. It’s on Miss Filatelista. Know what filatelista means? It’s Spanish for a person who collects passport stamps, a play on philatelist, a collector of stamps. Love it!
- My anecdote of a toilet truck hitting my plane is included in Meghan Jones’s Reader’s Digest article The 11 most bizarre reasons for flight delays.
- Not really travel related, but I was interviewed about career ambition for this Vice Tonic article by Suzanne Cope: The sad reason single women downplay their career ambition.
I was interviewed about solo travel for Canadian Living magazine’s August 2017 issue. I wish they’d situated my quote in the broader context of what I provided, but that’s how interviews go. I’ll pitch the rest of the story I was trying to tell somewhere else one day :-)
- By Sarah Treleaven, The Sisterhood of Travel (PDF) and Why all women need to travel at least once in their life (online version).
Travel deal guru Johnny Jet interviews frequent flyers from around the world, including guidebook writer and TV show host Rick Steves and astronaut Scott Parazynski. And now including me: Travel Style: Johanna Read. I talk about my most embarrassing travel moment, the worst travel moment that turned into my best, and some of my favourite places and things. And for some inexplicable reason, I chose to use a photo of me on top of a lighthouse in Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay, where I am pretending to be a bear.
- I’m quoted in Rachel Thomas’ Double spaces are dead and here’s why you should care, an article aimed at PR folks about dealing with writers. You grammarians will like it.
- In this article by Elizabeth Seward, I’m quoted about food safety at buffets (strangely combining my current travel life with my former food safety life): 5 unappetizing things you didn’t know about all-you-can-eat hotel buffets.
- I’m interviewed in this article by Susannah Rigg for Self Magazine, 10 women look back on living childfree by choice. This choice was an essential part of my lemon pie life. I’m #5, if you want to find me quickly.
- I’m featured in the June 2016 alumni newsletter of the Governor General’s Canadian Leadership Conference. This conference invites 225-250 Canadians from the public, private and labour sectors to participate in an incredible two weeks of leadership development and learning about Canada. I participated in the 2003 conference and toured the Yukon territory. Generally every four years, there’s a special conference in 2017 to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday. Applications close September 30, at LeadershipCanada.ca.
- I’m quoted in this article for Italy Explained by Jessica Spiegel: Italy roundtable: What bugs you about Italy.
- Mish Slade interviewed me for her how to be a digital nomad book, “Travel While You Work”.
- Couples travel: I was interviewed for Stacey McKenna’s article in Mind + Body, a print magazine of the Coloradoan (Holiday 2015 issue). It has advice from several travel writers about how to not only maintain your relationship whilst travelling, but maybe have it grow even stronger too: PDF of print version: The Buddy System and online version: The Buddy System.
- An article about my lemon pie life and how to make your dreams a reality, by Lauren Crabbe for The World, Please: The Lemon Pie Life.
- My interview with Grown Up Gap Year about adopting a life of almost full-time travel: If we can do it, so can you with Johanna from TravelEater.
- Via Love Play Work, how I started travel writing for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com (a chapter of what I call my “lemons to lemon pie” story): What if you had said yes?
- With The Professional Hobo, one of my five weeks travelling in Panama, with some tips on solo travel: A Week-In-The-Life of TravelEater Johanna in Panama
- An interview with Mallory On Travel, where I name my three ideal travel companions (and give some eating tips for Venice): Non-tourist Venice — eating for adventure and enjoyment, not sustenance and convenience.