Morocco was incredible — five weeks there and I feel like I only saw a tiny slice (and my arrival here in north Africa meant my sixth continent in less than 12 months! Not at all what I had planned, but my lemon pie life made it all possible).
Published stories so far:
- What’s that smell: Morocco’s communal ovens (for Paste Magazine) (and here’s the intro).
- A story about two Ottawa chefs who are stovetrotting around the world that I met at an innovative restaurant in Fès, Morocco, published in The Ottawa Citizen, the daily newspaper of Canada’s capital city, and republished in The Calgary Herald and The Edmonton Journal:
- Have Apron Will Travel (print version published October 29, 2015).
- Young Ottawa chefs Oliver Truesdale-Jutras and Phoebe Oviedo combine wanderlust with cooking (online version with more photos and a recipe, published October 28, 2015).
- Food city Fès (Fez) (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com).
- About Dar Roumana, a fab boutique hotel and restaurant: Stay at this sustainable boutique hotel in Fez, Morocco (for The Wayward Post).
- How to survive the medinas of Morocco –– lots of tips and tricks for keeping your stress levels down in the crowded labyrinths of Fès and Marrakech (for Passport Health).
- There’s a Morocco scam I fell for, described in Five travel scams I always avoid and the one that got me, for Tern Magazine.
- The French version is: Cinq arnaques auxquelles j’ai toujours échapé et celle que je n’ai su éviter.
- Some etiquette advice, including about Morocco, is in my article for Together magazine, PDA etiquette around the world.
Where to go
- About my favourite little town in Morocco — Moulay Idriss: When you need a vacation from your Moroccan vacation (for Journey Beyond Travel).
- Off-the-radar Morocco.
- Rabat: Best homebase for your Morocco holiday, featuring the towns of Moulay Idriss and Chefchaouen (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com).
- A visit to Marrakech, Morocco (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com).
- The hammam: a different sort of spa day (for Nanuism).
For Boutique Travel, I included three of my favourite boutique hotels, including Dar Roumans in Fès , in this roundup Top 10 favourite boutique hotels.
And the hotels I reviewed for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com:
- Riad Joya (Marrakech medina).
- Riad Due (Marrakech medina).
- Villa des Orangers, a Relais & Châteaux hotel (Marrakech Kasbah).
- La Sultana (Marrakech Kasbah).
- Dar Housnia (Marrakech medina).
- Riad Dar One (Marrakech Mellah).
- The Repose Luxury Riad (Rabat Salé).
- Villa Diyafa (Rabat, embassy district).
- Karawan Riad (Fès medina).
- La Maison Bleue (Fès medina).
- Palais Amani (Fès medina).
- Dar Roumana (Fès medina).
- Riad Nùmero 9 and Restaurant Nùmero 7 (Fès medina).
- Dar Seffarine (Fès medina).
- Riad Tizwa Fès (Fès medina; there’s a sister riad in Marrakech).
- Riad Fès, a Relais & Chateâux hotel (Fès medina).
And as usual, my stays are hosted by the hotels, but the opinions are my own and I do not allow the hotel to review or approve the text before it is published.