I think Asia, specifically Southeast Asia, is my favourite part of the world. I just feel good there. So, if you haven’t been, plan a trip – NOW! And if you have been, please share your recommendations with me, because I will be back again soon.
General articles on Asia
- With its predominantly Buddhist and Muslim religions, Southeast Asia has a few cultural practices and etiquette rules different than western countries. For A World To Travel, here are my 7 easy ways to travel respectfully in Southeast Asia, which help protect the culture, economy, and help make your stay more pleasant for everyone. I share tips on what to wear too.
How to shop responsibly, Southeast Asia edition: the choices you make affect the destination you’re visiting, the people who live there, and the people who will travel there in the future (November 2016 edition of SilkWinds, the in-flight magazine for Singapore Airlines’ regional airline, SilkAir).
- Pack smart for Southeast Asia, practical tips for what to bring to dress comfortably and respectfully in this predominantly Buddhist hot and humid region (for Singapore Airlines’ regional in-flight magazine, SilkWinds).
- Much of what I’ve written in this article for Fodor’s about Cambodia applies across Southeast Asia: 10 things you need to know before you go to Cambodia.
- What do you mean, I can’t wear my tanktop at Angkor Wat? Five etiquette tips to make sure your visit to Southeast Asia offends no one (for Canadian Traveller, spring 2016). Don’t forget my overview!
- Think you’ve been conned? How to avoid travel scams (for Silkwinds, Singapore Airline’s regional in-flight magazine, January 2016) and my overview.
- How to walk in Asia: walking isn’t as easy as you think! (for Silkwinds, March 2016). Plus my overview.
Lots more in the individual country links:
- For USA Today’s 10Best, Essential Tokyo.
- For USA Today’s 10Best, The soul of Korea.
VIET NAM (yup, I’ll eventually add something here too)