The Galápagos Islands are incredible, and should be on everyone’s must-see list (and while you’re there, book time to visit other parts of Ecuador).
My main piece of advice for visiting Galápagos is don’t wait. First, the islands are getting more and more popular, which means crowds, rising costs, and perhaps restrictions on the number of foreigners able to visit.
But also don’t wait so long you can’t have the trip that you want. During my 2 1/2 weeks in the islands, I saw many older travellers who may have waited too long. It isn’t overly strenuous to see the Galápagos Islands, but you do need to be sure-footed. You will be climbing in and out of zodiac boats, stepping over slippery rocks, and walking over lava fields. None of these are good places to take a fall, and I saw several. Plus, you’ll want to take advantage of some fantastic snorkelling and the opportunity for sea lions to play with you!
My writing so far on these idyllic isles:
- For Canadian World Traveller:
- For Bon Voyage Travel, Educational adventures disguised as fun: including Ecuador plus Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Cambodia and two US cities.
- Best way to see Galápagos: first a cruise, then relax in a hotel (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com)
- Seeing — and being seen — in the Galápagos Islands (for Get Real Luxury)
- Recommended Galápagos cruise: Haugan Cruises (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com)
- Plan a few days to rest after your Galápagos cruise (you’ll need them!): On which Galápagos island should I stay? (for LuxuryAndBoutiqueHotels.com)
- Recommended Galápagos accommodation:
- My wildlife lodge pick for this roundup is Galapagos’ Royal Palm: Top six wildlife lodges around the world (for Boutique Travel).
- For The Wayward Post, Stay green in the Galápagos Islands at Finch Bay Eco Hotel.
- Turtles turtles everywhere! (to come)
- Galápagos Islands without a tour — logistics and costs for travelling to and between islands independently (to come)
- Oops, I almost stepped in another pile of iguana (to come)
- Yes, Galápagos animals pose for their portrait! (to come)
Do you have any advice on visiting Galápagos?
Note: My stays were complimentary, courtesy of each hotel/cruise, but all opinions are my own and no one from the hotels/cruise reviewed or approved my text.